Karachi Photo Blog

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Two Coffee Cakes

See the difference? Bombay Bakery cake is on the right. The other cake is from Cake-n-Bake, a bakery that opened its doors not too far from Bombay Bakery. Cake-n-Bake is purported to be an Army outfit (earlier it was called Uqab Bakery); both bakeries are in the Hyderabad Cantonment area. Rumor has it that this new bakery hired (under duress) chefs from Bombay Bakery. But I don't believe the story because the proof is in the pie, well, cake in this instance. Bombay Bakery cake has a Victorian look to it--see the conservative attitude of keeping the base broader than the top. Shape aside, the taste of the older bakery's cake is a world apart from the other one. Keep it up Thandani!

5 Comments:

At Tue Feb 21, 05:20:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I grew up in Karachi and I used to love having the Bombay Bakery's Coffee Cake. And it's the SAME one in that photograph!! Wow.. I can almost taste it. It sounds like it's still great, as always.

Could anyone find me the recipe so I can make it now that I'm so far away from the country!? I would really appreciate it.

 
At Sat Jun 17, 07:24:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bombay Bakery is owned by Mr. Thadani and not Thandania as mentioned in the write up.

I would be interested in knowing if permission was obtained regarding publishing pictures of my house and business i.e. Bombay Bakery.

 
At Sat Jun 17, 12:41:00 PM PDT, Blogger Cemendtaur said...

Dear Anonymous,

I appreciate your feedback. Kindly write to me at cemendtaur@yahoo.com

I need to verify your identity i.e., if you are indeed the owner of Bombay Bakery. We will go from there.
Thanks
C.

 
At Sun Jul 20, 08:33:00 AM PDT, Blogger Writer said...

so true! nobody makes it liq the bombay bakery! btw, nice blog :)

 
At Wed Feb 02, 11:37:00 PM PST, Blogger john said...

Thank you for sharing these amazing words with us. Please do write more about Cakes in Karachi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home